Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Flu

My company has one confirmed H1N1 case which puts the entire company to shut down its operation for one day, which was last Friday. The whole office was fumigated and we got a day off. A day before which was on Thursday, all if us were busy working when one of the admin staff handed over masks to all the staff and allocated hand sanitizers at each division. It was a complete panic and madness when we discovered the truth behind it. One of the accounts staff was confirmed with H1N1. So, both TheBlueRanger and I went out immediately to get our flu jab. As we could not get the supplies from clinics (they ran out of stock), we had to get it from hospital instead.

But even with hospitals, they could ran out of stock too. With luck, we managed to get it at the Pantai Cheras. I was informed that Gleneagles and Pantai Ampang were out of stock already. We wanted to get the jab since we knew about H1N1 and when we knew we had to travel by next month. The thing was it wasn't that scary when it was not so near, so we kept on delaying in getting the jab. When we got a case landed on our own floor, just meters away from where we sit, can you imagine all the panicking emotions growing within us? I managed to get daddy to bring Lunz to the hospital for the jab as well. I know that the jab is not 100% protected against the H1N1 flu but at least it can provide maybe 50% of protection against the flu. At least it built up your immune system to be more resistant to flu. The vaccine for the swine flu is only available by end of this year.

Even if the jab is not against the H1N1, the supply is already very scarce as people regardless of whether they are in the high risk or low risk group seems to be getting it. So, I can't imagine if they have vaccines for this one. Once the vaccine is available in the market, sure will kena sapu habis-habis. We will see by year end.

I managed to stock up my supplement supplies. Bought bottles of vitamin C and Scott Emulsion's fish oil for Lunz. I bought the orange flavor as I guessed the little one will not take the original flavor. But it's better than nothing anyway. So, he takes it twice a day, a spoonful. So far, he was ok after the jab, just a little bit of cough (*touch wood*). Maybe he got it from me. I was having some slight throat discomfort and I went to see a doctor today. According to his advice, he told me it is better to get the flu jab every year and trust him, it does make a difference. When you take it every year, your body will build a resistant towards flu. So, the chances of you getting it (the new swine flu) is not as high as those who doesn't take the jab or maybe if you do get the flu, you are not as sick as those who doesn't take the jab.

So, I will have to remember to take the jab again next year, all of us.

No comments: