Monday, February 22, 2010

Trip to Sweden

I went to Sweden last month and finally have some time to blog about it now. It's a conference trip. Never in my life have I dream about seeing snow. With this job, I'm able to visit places that previously I can only dream of. This is the most memorable trip of all. It was winter and snow was everywhere. I experienced eating moose and reindeer meat, riding the snowmobile, wearing 3-4 layers of clothing, staying in a temperature of minus degrees and walking in the snow. It was an incredible experience.

View from the plane. Snow was everywhere in Sweden.

Upon landing. Pretty excited to see the snow covered ground. First time in life to see snow, and so much snow.

Stockholm Arlanda Airport. Waiting for transit to Skelleftea.

Finally in Skelleftea. Small town with only 2 streets of shopping. This is the view from our hotel room. Love the snow.

First day to attend the conference. We couldn't find the conference hall and had to spend at least 15 minutes in the cold trying to locate it. Couldn't be any happier when we finally entered the conference hall - got heater le ma.

At the conference venue. The view behind was a river. All frozen and white.

The view outside the campus. See the bridge behind? We crossed the bridge and walked back to our hotel everyday after the conference as there was no bus available in the evening. It's around 10-15 mins walk. At first, it was really difficult to walk under such cold weather, but we got used to it later.

That's the bridge. Love the all white background view. It gets dark early everyday at 3pm.

On the way for factory visit. The snow covered roof reminds me of Hansel and Gretel.

Moose! Got this zoom-in edited version from TheBlueRanger. Picture taken from the bus.

Visit to Svansele Wilderness Centre after the factory visit. Had our dinner there.

Dinner being cooked.

Real life animals - preserved. The owner has a passion for hunting. He has collected most of the animal species that could be found in Sweden.

Our exotic dinner. Moose and reindeer meat! Tasted much like mutton. I forgot to include the trout (fish) in this photo. One of the best fish I have ever tasted!

Famous gingerbread cookie and coffee.

Tried the snowmobile! I can't stop yelling because the driver did not brake when going down the slopes and was so afraid that my hat will fly off. It was freezing cold as well with the wind blowing right at my face.

Finally we have some time to walk around town on the last day of the conference. So, we took some pictures. Me with the snow! The picture shows how happy I am with the snow covered hands as if I've got gold.

The Skelleftea Airport. I'm gonna miss the white scenery.

Last picture of me with the snow and a life Christmas tree before departure.

This is going to be a memorable trip for me...

No comments: