Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Kiwi A Day Keeps The Doctor Away!

I met up with Ling Ling recently and she told me how important it is to take enough vitamin C and she suggested me to give lun lun kiwi daily (as her mum is currently taking this fruit and it really boost her health). So, I started to give him a kiwi each day and this has continue for about a month already. So far, I can see the positive effect on the daily intake of the fruit. He has a stronger immune system now. According to some article I read from the net, kids age between 4-8 years old requires only 25mg of vitamin C daily. And guess what? A kiwi fruit contains 75mg of vitamin C, second to top up the list of fruits with the most vitamin C. The winner goes to lemon, of course. But I can't be feeding my boy lemon. Hence, kiwi will do. Apart from vitamin C, it is also high in fibre, so it facilitates the 'big' business. Great as a replacement for kids who dislike vegetables.

I know extra vitamin C will be flush out from the body but hey, at least I know I'm giving him enough vitamin C rather than vice versa right? Plus I couldn't be giving him half the fruit. I usually give him the whole fruit considering how small it is. And another, lun's cousin, Dominic ( KS's sis's son) was infected with HFMD recently when we visited them. My sis-in-law did not inform us prior because she felt that the virus will not spread once the infected person is recovering. But this is not true, the infected person will still be carrying the virus during recovery and even weeks after recovery. As I was already there at her house, leaving immediately not long after arrival will seems too obvious that I actually mind. So, I left it at God's hand.

Of course, the kids played like nobody's business and there were constant touching between the 2 of them. Fortunately, lunz was not infected after monitoring him for about a week. I don't know. Maybe it's luck but I believe the kiwi intake plays a role as well in defending his immune system. Therefore, I was glad I boosted his immune system earlier with loads of vitamin C. Kiwi fruit is selling at RM 8.90 for 5 pieces per box at Jusco. Not a cheap fruit to consume but if it provides a positive effect, I don't mind investing for my baby's health. After all he doesn't take vitamin C supplements, so it's good to go natural also.

By the way, the little bugger really knows how to eat. He only consumes the yellow kiwi instead of the green ones. Why? Because yellow ones are sweeter!

No comments: