Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Another Bad Fever

Lunz was having a temperature on Sunday night before bedtime. So, I gave him the fever syrup and put him to bed. Both me and daddy had already decided to bring him to the paed. on the following morning because it could be some throat infection that caused the fever. By morning, Lunz still had the temperature and the paed. prescribed some medication to us. According to the paed., the bottle of antibiotic should not be started until the fever worsen or on the following day. Whichever comes first. The paed. told me just to give Lunz the fever syrup plus the normal, phlegm, flu and cough syrup. He told us it was just some minor throat irritation.

How absurd that could be? I certainly don't believe the throat infection was minor because Lunz was already experiencing fever. If there wasn't any throat infection, how could the fever developed? And the most stupid part was, I can only give the antibiotic when the temperature from the fever rise higher. Ain't I risking my baby's life?

So, I decided to follow my own instincts and common sense, I ignored the paed. and gave Lunz the antibiotic as well. By afternoon, mum told me the fever was still there and it hadn't gone off. Pretty unusual because once you intake the fever medicine plus antibiotic, at least the fever will subside a bit although no doubt it will come back later until your throat clears off. But hey, it's normal for the fever to come and goes off, rather than not subsiding at all. By the time I reached home after work, the fever was still there. I tried sponging him but he just won't let me touched him. He only allowed me to put a wet hanky on his forehead for a couple of times and that's it. Even for those I have to say nice things to him.

Even after his third intake of the fever syrup, the temperature got worse. I could feel his whole body was very hot as if it was being burnt. Every time my kid has fever, I was blardy worried. I can't imagine having more kids, I think I will faint from all the worries.

Daddy immediately took us to a GP doctor nearby our house. This was because I used our in-house digital thermometer and realized his temperature was at 39.3 degree celcius. Quite high and scary. To my surprise, the GP doctor acted professionally. It is quite difficult to get a good GP doctor and I was glad a professional one came to my rescue yesterday. The doctor took Lunz temperature, got a shock and asked us why we did not attempt to do something earlier when his temperature was that high. So, the doctor inserted the paracetamol tablet into Lunz's backside and the little fella managed to release a tiny 'OUCH!' few minutes after that and when daddy asked him later, "Where pain pain?" The little one replied, "Si fatt (buttock) pain pain" instead of his throat. Not an answer we expected. Hahaha....

Then the doctor prescribed a different type of antibiotic and fever medicine for us. It has been 2 nights that I woke up constantly to check his temperature and to feed him the syrups. The medicine will finish by today and I guess I need to bring him back to the doctor for a second round of consultation if the fever still persists. It worries me sick to see my boy not well. Hope he will be fine and healthy soon.

No comments: