Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Weight Gained and Artworks

As now is currently the school holidays, the little one practically does nothing at his popo's house. His daily activities are eat, sleep, watch TV and play computer. That's it. Even during weekends as well. And I noticed he has gained weight. I mean seriously gained weight! I tried to get him up the measuring scale yesterday and guess how much he weight?

It's freaking 27kg!

4 1/2 years old at 27kg!

I know I must do something to control his weight now. I don't want it to be too late and he has to suffer later in life. I mean later, there could be problems arising if I don't take any actions now. His weight may started to increase even more when he entered adolescent stage. That's where he needs more energy to grow. He will eat more. Who knows? Some said, once he is a teenager, he will lose weight coz he will be more engage in exercises and sport activities. But who knows? Perhaps it's the other way round. It's better to control now than later, right?

To start, I'll have to stop keeping junk food at home, or maybe I have to store it at unseen places like inside the cabinet where we can only eat when he's asleep. No more yogurt drinks or yogurt as these are sugar-based products. Low-fat yogurt can be considered as a source of calcium. Occasionally, he can still take some biscuits as snack. But I have to avoid junk food and sweets. More outdoor activities, maybe I'll have to get him a bike or something. So, that he can indulge in some form of exercise that he likes. For GOD sake, I have to do something! I have already decreased his milk intake. From 8oz to 7oz and now is 5oz. Basically his rice intake is not much, I mean his main meals are not heavy. I don't know from where he got the excess weight from. I guess it's from the doughnuts, pies, cookies, sweets and ice-creams. I know those are his favorites. But what to do? Just try to limit them.

Hopefully I can do it without my heart melting to see that pity look on his face when I shake my head signaling a NO-NO before he put those food in his mouth.

Before

After

So leng chai pin fei chai...wasted leh....
More more exercise please daddy!!

Before school holiday started, his teacher gave me back all his artworks for me to keep. Considering those are precious artworks more than the MONA LISA painting, I decided to display them rather than to store them away in a box. So, I actually put them up all over the cabinet in his room.


And he actually knows the name of his male classmates! Daddy found out when he accidentally asked the little one while pointing to one of his classmates in his class photo. One after another, he actually knew all the names of all his male classmates except for the females. He didn't know any of the girls because when we asked him, he did not reply but just smile only. :)

From left to right, he knows the name of each of the boys, but not the girls.

2 comments:

yennyhfy @ samsara said...

dear, don't feel guilty for forbidding him from taking anymore donuts, pies, bla bla bla...Of course you are not trying to be cruel. I can imagine that if I were you, I would do the same too. Nowadays with so much IT around us, even adults are getting lazier to move around. But kids, should be more active and and go outdoor more often. This is also an encouragement to a healthier lifestyle for him when he grows.

Watching his diet is damn important. Whether he'll have good teeth/good muscles/eyesights bla bla very much depends on what & HOW he eats now. Of cos we love chubby kids (they are adorable!) but they will suffer very much when they try to put down weight later.

Like JJ, he also used to be a very fat chubby kid, up til he reaches teen age. He gets difficulty breathing, tardiness and snoring at tender age 11! Only then his parents got worried and made him diet, exercise & lose weight. Now at 17, much better & healthier!

So, I support u! For Lunz good health, you have to do it! Don't worry, he'll thank u at no time!

sherine said...

Hehehe....now only I have the time to reply you. Well, I'm trying my best to limit his junk food intake. His snacks, milk or whatever. Luckily he is tall you see, so, at least it isn't so obvious.

Hopefully he will outgrow his weight when he grows up later. Thanks for your encouragement!