Friday, January 16, 2009

School Time!

My baby has finally started school! Several days before he started school, I was deeply worried and nervous. I can hardly sleep and kept on wondering how would he react to separation anxiety. Will he cry? Will he know what to do and how to behave? Even if he doesn't cry, but, when he see others who cries, will he cry also? I can't help being nervous, maybe we the adults do experienced separation anxiety as well. But I must say, as of so far I'm indeed very proud of the brave boy!


Day 1 : 12 January 2009
His very first day at school. Luckily this boy has no problem waking up early in the morning because he just don't like sleeping. I have to set aside at least half an hour to one hour time every night just to put him to sleep. So, he did not threw any tantrum even though we woke him up. I had already packed his bag the previous night. I just need to change him only. He can only wear his school uniform by the following week. The idea was for the teacher to recognize the new students apart from the old ones. Most of the parents were there for the first day. Some of the children were crying like mad even though their parents were there. But Lunz was fine, he played by himself and occasionally looked up for me, just to make sure I was around. I tried to hide a few times but he succeeded in finding me and there were times when he failed, he sob with red and watery eyes for awhile. He just wanted me around. When daddy tried and said good-bye to him, he just waved his daddy good-bye, not bothering if his daddy went back. Daddy said, hhhmmmppphhh!!

I went to class together with him and took a seat behind the class while daddy stayed outside. The routine for the first week was basically just to let them familiarized with the school activities. So, no teaching at the moment. The teachers just gathered the kids to sit together at a few tables and occupied them with toys. Then, they will cleared up the toys and ushered the kids to the toilet. I had previously showed Lunz to the boys' toilet and he has no trouble locating it the following time when he had urgent needs to pee.

The little fella did not follow the line and headed off by himself to the toilet without waiting for the others. He was supposed to queue up! When everybody was backed at their own seats, the teachers started to serve light snack and it was hot dog bread. Lunz had one but he kept on telling me that he wanted more hot dogs, so I asked him to get it from his teacher. He did so and earned himself another piece. Still not enough, he took another piece from the girl who sat next to him. He had been aiming it for quite awhile because the girl left it untouched. Hehehe....

Then, the teachers asked the kids to take out their bottles and drink their water. Lunz just couldn't sat still. He stood up and walked around most of the time. Luckily, he has a partner, i.e., another boy namely Chris who also can't sat still. After that, the teachers concluded the class for the day by singing songs. Most of the kids joined in and sang. But, my little boy stuck his fingers into his ears, annoyed by the noise. *Ish...ish....ish....*

When the class ended, we took the driver's car back home. Just to let him familiarized with the driver, the uncle who is in charge of sending and fetching him to school. Of course, more encouragement was given to him to make him felt much independent without us later.

Day 2 : 13 January 2009
I tried to let him sat in uncle's car by himself. But he just wouldn't let me go. So, I made a decision to stay with him for another whole day. Most of the parents already left their kids behind. Some were crying terribly. But I chose to stay there for another day since I already took 3 days of annual leave. Daddy had left for work. We both rotated to go on leave for our kid. He took Thursday and Friday off while I had to go to work by then. But he dropped by every morning at my mum's house to see Lunz off to school together with me. In case, the little one bully me wor, unwilling to sit in uncle's car.

Nothing much to report on the second day except for the snack given was slices of pandan cakes. Again, Lunz ate 3 bowls with 3 small pieces in each bowl. Nothing much to highlight because I was with him all the time. Day 3 will marked a difference as daddy proposed I was to tell Lunz that mummy need to go and buy things while daddy see him off into uncle's car. Without me around, perhaps he will obeyed his daddy's instructions to sit in uncle's car quietly to school.

Day 3 : 14 January 2009

It worked!! Daddy's plan worked. Before uncle's car arrived, I told Lunz that mummy will be going to buy something and will be seeing him after school. He waved me good-bye. (Don't walked out on kids or you will risk their trust and confidence. Tell them where are you going). I waited in the car while daddy sent him off. I was so afraid he would cry but apparently he was even stronger and better than I thought he was. Both daddy and I tailed him to school and we peeped his actions from the car. At first, he stood there silently with his bag, not knowing where was his mummy and daddy and not knowing what to do next. He looked lost. Some of the kids were crying badly and I asked daddy, will he be easily influenced by others to cry along? Daddy assured me not to worry. He told me that this little boy has a character of his own. He will not be easily affected by other kids. In short, he is a strong boy. Then, minutes later we saw that Lunz walked slowly towards the bench and placed his bag on top of it. Then, he was all back to his playful self when he took the ball from the basket and headed off to the play area.

We watched until he went into his class and there was nothing else to see. Daddy headed off to work while I had breakfast alone and did some errants until it was time to see him when class dismissed. I peeped from my car and saw him coming out from school, took his shoes from the rack and walked over to the bench to put them on. I saw something was missing. His bag! He has forgotten about his bag. Uncle told him to put on the right shoes on the correct feet and asked him where was his bag. Then only he remembered and went back into his classroom to retrieve it. He obediently followed uncle to his car and again, I tailed from behind. I greeted him later with lots of hugs and kisses, to show him what a brave and good boy he was. I even rewarded him with sweets.

I asked him later...

Me : What did teacher gave you to eat at school?
Lunz : Hot dog
Me : Hot dog again? How many you have had?
Lunz : 1 2 3 4 (while showing me his fingers)
Me : What song song did teacher sang?
Lunz : Twinkle twinkle little star.... (and carry on singing the whole song)

Observations - He knew how to answer my question, arrange his shoes on the shoe rack at home and initiated to take his bath after school as a part of his daily routine before milk and nap. Normally, it would take ages for me to ask him to go to the bathroom for his bath.

Day 4 : 15 January 2009

If day 3 he did not cry, day 4 he will be able to carry on by his own. He was slowly adapting to the new people in his life like the driver, teachers and his friends. Last but not least, the routine to go to school everyday. When uncle sent him home, both of us greeted the little one with stickers! As a reward for him for being such a good and brave boy. A part of our encouragement efforts also.


I am so proud of him and thank God daddy is with me. I believe that apart from being a strong boy himself, daddy also played a role in the success. Without him, I guess Lunz broke into tears already considering I was the one who shoved him alone in uncle's car. He showed Lunz the encouragement, trust and confidence that he had for him which made the boy stronger. (From an article I read, you must not show even the slightest hesitation in the things you do for if not, the kids will be able to sense it and confused/doubt about your decisions or actions). Daddy handled the situation really well.

I'm just so proud and happy for my boys!

No comments: