Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mum's Hospital Admittance and Surgery

Time flies. In a blink of eye, we are now in April. Today is First of April, April Fool's day! With so many things happening around recently and a gloomy economic downturn, April Fool's day is not funny at all. Well, it is supposed to be funny isn't it with silly people messing around making other people thought the matter is for real. But, with the current situation going around, no one is in the mood for joke!

Myself on the other hand had my own problems. Mum was admitted into hospital last Thursday for a major operation to remove the whole reproductive system. She has got 6-7 fibroids of 5-6cm in diameter wide inside her uterus which caused blockage to her bladder. She was unable to pass urine because of these parasites. So, she was admitted into the EU ward in Pantai Cheras to release the urine first using a tube. Then she was referred to a Urinologist who confirmed the problem and advised for immediate surgery.

At first, we decided to have the operation in Pantai Cheras for the following week but somehow my uncle (mum's younger brother) found out about it and insisted my mum to be admitted immediately into Gleneagles Medical Centre. Based on his connection, my uncle was able to arrange for a suitable gynae doctor to consult my mum. My uncle is a regular customer there and I guessed he has donated a bungalow to Gleneagles so far as my grandma always fell sick and need hospital admittance. So, we left it to him to arrange everything. Mum just needed to pack her stuffs and off she goes. Based on the initial consultation, there were 2 ways the surgery can be done. One was to remove those fibroids blocking the bladder only and left the remaining non-disturbance ones. But it will contributes to 20% of cancer risk. The other way was to remove the whole uterus, the reproductive system so that you don't have to worry about second operation in case something bad happens again.

So, mum said since she was so old already, might as well removed the whole thing. She signed for it and had the operation on Friday. By chosing the second method, she has to intake hormone pills as she age to balance out her hormones and aging process. Hopefully the doctor will recommend a good one. I went to see her after work on the day of her surgery and the sight of her made my heart ached. Lying there on the bed looking so pale and yellow, her skin showed no sign of blood flow. You know what I mean, the normal skin color. She was so pale and extremely tired. My uncle was there when I arrived. My other 2 aunties were there as well. Both of them gave my mum some money while my uncle made the largest contribution, 4 digits. My uncle has helped us a lot in the past. Our family really owed him a lot. It's his generosity that counts because dad's side of family has not even helped as much as he did. My mum told my aunt that the fortune teller's prediction has came true. He predicted that my mum will undergo a major operation before she reaches the age of 50. That time she was just 15 years old. Mum is 46 now. Boy...guess the old man has passed away for if not, I'll get him to predict when I will be filthy rich! Hehehe....

On the second night after the surgery I stayed over at night with her. My elder sis-in-law accompanied her on the first night. She looked much better but she didn't sleep at all from 12am till 6am in the morning. She told me she can't sleep and she complaint I slept like a pig. Hell...where got? I still got woke up and attended her many times that night, it's just that during times she didn't need me, for surely I dozed off. The air-cond was freaking cold as well, resulted in me having running nose. And many thanks to our inconsiderate room mate who switched on the TV with loud volume until 12 midnight. Because of them, mum hardly get to rest properly. But she told me she had a nice sleep the following night when the fellas has already checked out. Daddy looked after Lunz while I'm not around. He is really a caring daddy as he attended to Lunz's daily routine well. I mean, he looks after him well.

When morning came, mum tried to sit up and walked. She was doing good so far, slowly recovering. Daddy gave me a morning surprise visit completed with breakfast (egg tarts and other Chinese kuih) delivery together with Lunz. Finally, mum was discharged and she went back home yesterday. I tried to cook for her whenever I can because I'm the earliest person to reach home on working days. We even figured out how to manage the kids because in this situation we don't want her to move to much. She must get plenty of rest. I even asked the driver to send Lunz up as mum couldn't walk down the stairs to get him for some time. My uncle even offered to lend us one of his maid soon. Hopefully the maid can help out on the kids and some house chores.

Seeing such incident, I was scared as well. I haven't done any checkup since Lunz was born. 4 odd years. Gosh, I must go for my checkup already...soon....

A word of advice, if you can't afford monthly premium insurance, at least buy a medical card. Saves you a lot of headache and no need to fork out money for hospital admittance and surgery. Because if without the medical card, I don't know where on earth that me and my brothers should get the money to settle the RM10k ++ hospital fees.

Nevertheless, to mum, hopefully she gets well soon.

No comments: