Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Misfortunes

I was being hit by bad luck lately. A lot of unfortunate things happened to me at one time. It was like being hit by meteorites falling from the sky and there was no where I can run or hide for shelter. Or it was like aliens invaded earth and I was captured for their freaky experiments on Homo Sapiens. I haven't even got a chance to say good-bye to my beloveds and that was the last moment I ever saw earth again. *Sigh*....it was bad, it was devastating. Let me go through the lists of so-called unfortunate:

1. I was sick with sore throat and this morning it came back again like a haunting that never ends.
2. I fell flat on the floor because the floor was damn wet from mopping. Those people were too lazy to twist the mop and water dripped everywhere on the floor. The results? I had a 6cm in diameter blue black bruise on my right knee. Of course to complete it, there was another blue black bruise on my left elbow.
3. I bloody twisted my neck last Saturday during my sleep. I was sleeping when I heard, 'click-clack' and the next thing I know was I felt a strong sensation of throbbing pain. I was awaken by the intense pain and then realized I had strained my neck. Luckily it was nearly dawn or else I can't sleep. The results? 2 painkillers downed my throat everyday to ease the pain, stiffed neck, no sideways glance as I can't turned my head and I can't get up from the bed without help. It was much better today.
4. The most exciting misfortune story of all is, I made a HUGE BLOODY mistake at work. I'm not shy to admit my mistake here for the world to read. In fact, I felt guilty. It's because apart from what happened, I saw care from the people around me that makes me guilty. The story was, I overlooked the need to link the pages in the Master Data CD and ended up 1000 copies of CD replication does not have the linkage function. And since those CDs are not re-writable meaning there is only place they can go which is the rubbish bin. Well, 1000 copies costed like 2000 ++ bucks. And there goes the 2000++ dollar notes flying up in the air. My boss was shocked at such foolish mistake but made no attempt to scold me at all. In fact, he tried many ways to solve the problem. In the end, we settled into the decision of duplicating the CDs once again as there was no other choice. But this time we can save on the casing. We just opted to burn the CDs plus the CD surface printing only. Yes! All 1000 of them. The damage? 800 bucks because the vendor is a very close friend of my boss and he charged us at only 80 cents per piece inclusive of surface printing and replicating. The price I managed to get was 1.30 per piece which was rather expensive. The outcomes?:

- My boss is a really really good boss. Despite no attempt to shot me dead, he just said he wanted me to learn from there. He offered to pay the total 800 bucks out of his own pocket but I rejected. My conscience told me that I just can't let him pay everything. Later, we settled into each one half of the amount. He told me it was his fault also because he didn't check the art work with me. Hardly any boss will admit his mistake in front of his staff but he is just exceptional. Frankly, regardless whether did he check or not, it was still considered my fault because I made the mistake and he has the right of not to help me at all. He can just simply asked me to settle it myself and he just want to see the end-result perfect as original and that's it. I have to swallow the 800 bucks or maybe more myself. But he cared for his staff and that's why he helped me out. His concern, leadership, knowledge and understandings are extremely great that it's hard to find another boss like him.

- My colleagues were very helpful. My earlier suggestion was to produce the CDs in-house and they were helpful. The art creator said he can helped me to print the CD labels and the technician said he was willing to help me burned those CDs. Other colleagues gives suggestions. But my boss dropped the idea commenting that in-house production may not be able to present the qualities needed and I had to agree with him.

- Although it was not quite a big deal, just some damage on money and assessment wise, my family members nevertheless were very supportive of me. My mum chucked 200 bucks into my hand but I gave her back. I can't possibly take that. She is no richer than me. And being the 26 year old me, I couldn't still want parents to bear the shit that I created. She took the money back of course after series of debating and said she will used it to buy Lunz milk powder instead. She said I can go ahead and throw away all the milk powder if I want after she bought it. Mums....they are just so miracle. My bro, on the other hand made me super delicious egg and ham for supper. Yum...yum....

- One slight thing that upset me the most was because a statement of 'I better don't get involve' being thrown right at my face. Not just only once but many times of different incidents. After the statement being made, there will be no attempt to concern on what's happening anymore. Regardless of the ending that I might be fired from work, to bear the whole amount or to spend nights after work in the office to fix it, there is no concern being made on that. Just because I merely said something that wasn't pleasant to hear and I didn't mean it out of being devastated. How funny it is because the most important element of a life long journey together is not sex, money or anything but the ability to feed each others soul regardless but yet being egoistic creates barrier to achieve that. How ruthless, ignorant and irresponsible that can be? Ah yes, the end-result? Minutes of sobbing in the ladies cubicle and washed clear of my face and head later fully determined knowing I don't need that concern anymore.

No comments: