Thursday, October 16, 2008

Progress, progresses

For bedtime yesterday, he asked my permission to get a book whilst pointing to the piles on the rack. I replied, "OK bi, just one book ah". He happily hopped over me, grabbed a book and lied down back next beside me. It was his pick, The ABC Book.

He started to open the book and to my surprised, he read and spelled each of every word downright from A to Z without a mistake. He knows the pronunciation of every word and was very careful not to spell wrongly as his eyes traced the letters in the words.

A for Ant, A-n-t
B for Bear, B-e-a-r
C for Cap, C-a-p
D for Duck, D-u-c-k
E for Eel, E-e-l
F for Ferry, F-e-r-r-y
G for Gate, G-a-t-e
H for house, H-o-u-s-e
I for Ice, I-c-e
J for Jug, J-u-g
K for Keys, K-e-y-s
L for Leaf, L-e-a-f
M for Monkey, M-o-n-k-e-y
N for Net, N-e-t
O for Owl, O-w-l
P for Pencil, P-e-n-c-i-l
Q for Queen, Q-u-e-e-n
R for Robot, R-o-b-o-t
S for Snake, S-n-a-k-e
T for Tree, T-r-e-e
U for Umbrella, U-m-b-r-e-l-l-a
V for Vase, V-a-s-e
W for Wolf, W-o-l-f
X for X-ray, X-r-a-y
Y for Yo-yo, Y-o-y-o
Z for Zoo, Z-o-o

(I'm naming them all for him to see later when he grows up, how many words that he knew at his age.)

Previously before bedtime, I did asked him to show me his body parts as I named them. Some were new to him such as elbow, cheek and tummy. And then, to top it all up with him jumping excitedly, I finished it with a song that sounded like this:

Head, shoulder, knees and toes,
Knees and toes,
Head, shoulder, knees and toes,
Knees and toes,
Eyes and ears and mouth and nose,
Head, shoulder, knees and toes,
Knees and toes.

Then, we hopped on to the sofa and I picked up his 'Fruits' flashcards. He named each of the fruits as I flipped the cards.

Starfruit - His favourite!
Mango...mangosteen...coconut...strawberry....apple...orange....
watermelon...pineapple.....

Bananana - Seems like another extra -na tagging along behind.
(The list continues....)
Water apple...lychee...lime....plum....peach...
Papaya - Often mistaken for Tomato.
Pamelo and promegranate - He will asked me, "What's this?" over and over again. Probably too difficult for him to pronounce this two fruits.
Guava and durian - Will always think before he remembers but in the end always got it correct!
Grape - I always thought I heard Grey.
Ciku and duku - Always got those mixed up.

And I think there are whole lot more fruits which I can't remember now but anyway it's more or less about that. (Again I'm listing them down so that he can see his progress as he grows up later.) Another thing that I had discovered was he can now spot and point to the thing that I named in the book. For example, in an extensive picture of undersea that bears the life of all underwater creatures shown, he was able to spot and point to the creature that I named. Like, "Where is the crab?", I asked. He will tried to find the crab in the picture and will got pretty excited when he spotted it hidden behind the rocks. I think I should encourage more interactions like this.

No comments: