Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fruitful Story Reading Habit

After I introduced lunz to story reading habit before bedtime, he started to show much interest in the stories that I read to him. He would pay full attention listening to me and looking at the illustrations on the book. I found out that he has improved in ways of expressing himself in words. Sometimes he would take the book and read to himself imitating the way I usually tell the stories. He would go page by page, telling the stories to himself. There were some pages he knew exactly what that particular page was all about. And he was able to mention it. And there were some pages that he was unsure, he practically speak in his own baby language that I don't know what he was mumbling about.

One example of the pages that he was familiar with and able to tell was the first page on Goldilocks and The 3 Bears. The page was illustrated with 3 bears and he told me whilst pointing to the bears, "This is papa bear, this is mama bear and this is baby bear." And when it comes to the story of The 3 Little Pigs, he would again asked himself whilst pointing to the pictures, "How many wolves? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...." as he counted. Same goes for the counting of the number of pigs and the houses built. He would asked, "How many pigs? How many house?" and answered by himself. There were times he would take the book and read the stories to his popo. Although I doubt popo can fully understand what he was talking about...hehehe....

I would encourage all mummies out there to practice story reading with their children. It is very effective to build up the language as well as to encourage them to be creative and imaginative. And it strengthens the bond between the mother and the child as well.

Yesterday when I was feeding him noodles for dinner, he told me suddenly, "Mimi pao pao". Meaning he was already full. This was the first time I heard him saying 'pao pao' to me. Normally, I'll stop feeding him when I saw that he had enough. But this time, he told me to stop instead. He really knows how to express himself most of the time now. Then he said, "Plak plak". Asking me to go get him the 100 Plus drink. KIDS....*sigh*...hehehehe.....

No comments: