Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Story Reading Habit

I dropped by at Jusco yesterday during lunch time and managed to grab 2 story books for lunz that cost me 45 bucks. One was a story on shapes and colours on the farm. Fully illustrated with drawings on farm animals and the surrounding environment. He prefers this book more than the other one which was the Ladybird version on 6 bedtime tales. The stories are such as The Gingerbread Man, The 3 Little Pigs, The Enormous Turnip, The 3 Billy Goat Gruffs, The Little Red Hen and I can't remember the last one. Ladybird book's illustrations are amazing. It brought the tales to live. As an adult, even I was fascinated when I go through the pages. Plus the wordings are not compact on every page. In short, lots of illustration with minimal wordings. Just perfect for my little one. It was the only one left on the shelf, so, I took it.

It turned out that he wasn't in favor of the Ladybird book as much as the other one. Maybe he hasn't started to appreciate such detailed stories yet. But, I'm trying to cultivate story-reading habits in him instead of his usual interest in books that teaches only simple wordings. Those books I think are more suitable for the younger ones. My boy has outgrown all those. Hence, with the new book on hand, I tried to read to him yesterday during bedtime on the story of The Little Red Hen. I tried to cut short some sentences because I saw that he hadn't much patience listening to me. Few times he stuck his fingers into his ear, refusing to listen anymore. Maybe he wasn't interested at this early stage or maybe he do not know what mummy was blabbing about. At times when he wanted to turn his head away, I will flipped to the next page and he will take a look at the pictures as they captured his attention. The illustrations were really nice to look at. I'm not going to give up easily.

I don't want to introduce all the 6 stories at one time. The book will easily bored him off later. One story at a night will do plus rotations with other books. Hopefully, this will keep his interest at bay. When he was exploring the newly bought "Colours on Farm" book yesterday, I heard him said, "How about this one?", "This is diamond" and "Next page" as he turned the pages. He is starting to form sentences. Good....that is exactly what I'm trying to do. To encourage him to speak more often instead of pointing to things that he wants and say, eh eh eh.

How I wish there are more libraries located in the neighborhood instead of the need to travel all the way down to the traffic jam city centre area for such facility. Then I can spend some time with him at the library every weekend to borrow different books instead of buying new ones. What a wish! Too bad...this is Malaysia.

No comments: